Sunday, April 14, 2019

No Pain No Gain

This week was full of unexpected and expected events! To be honest, my week started off pretty
rough. I had two flat tires and was trying to deal with a tooth that was causing a ton of pain. Monday morning rolled around I had my tires fixed and I popped a ton of Advil for my tooth. I tried my best to ignore the pain and gave my full attention to the students. At the moment each class felt longer than the last and it was becoming hard to focus. Finally, the day ended and I decided it was time to see a dentist.

Looking back now I probably should have scheduled an appointment sooner but I didn't want to miss school, especially because it being the last couple of weeks of student teaching. By not listening to my body I ended up getting an infection, high blood pressure, and fever. All this caused me to miss two days of schools.

From this, I learned you need to listen to your body. If you are unwell and need time off it's not okay to take that time to recover. By pushing things off is only going to make things worst. I have a missing tooth now for proof.

Though my week started off rough; it ended it great! Thursday we had the members compete at the Easter Region LDE's and I was able to judge Senior Prepared Public Speaking.  In total, I judge and watched eight incredible speeches! Each speech was unique and ranged from a variety of topics.  I was glad to have this opportunity to judge this event because I didn't have much experience in this LDE so it was nice to see what it takes to participate in this event.  Some takeaways from this event are:

  • Have students present their speeches to community 
  • Make studnets limit their bias opinions  
  • Have student talk to judges aftward to ask for helpful tips
Overall, students do an awesome job with speeches! 

Another cool opportunity I had this week was to attend the Lancaster Volleyball Tournament! This event was open to all Lancaster chapters! There were five chapters represented with a total of five teams. All the advisors came together to form one time. I don't know how but we ended up being the second place team! This was a super cool event!

One thing I love about Lancaster County is they provide a lot of opportunities for their chapters to come together and mingle. So far I've been able to see Public speaking events, agricultural mechanic event, record bookkeeping event, and now this tournament.  I am not sure what the other counties do but it is clear that Lancaster is the place to be!

Somethings to consider when choosing a program:
  • How involved are surrounding chapters?
  • Would it be possible to collaborate on events?
  • Possible to run mock CDE for practice? 
With one week left I am excited to see how I can maximize my student teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment