Friday, April 19, 2019

Interviewing with an Administrator

I had a great opportunity to conduct a mock interview with Pequea Valley School District superintendent, Dr. Erick Orndorff. I have Dr. O on numerous occasions throughout my time at Pequea Valley. In our interview, we went over a couple of questions and tips on interviewing with a superintendent.

The first question was, "How do would you use technology in the classroom?" Pequea Valley is known for its integration of technology in the classroom. Luckily for me, I spent the past 15 weeks in school, so I able to share my experiences with technology. I provided good answers, but to make it stronger, DR.O suggested I mention the SAMR Ladder. Which is a model of tech integration into the classroom, to help educators become comfortable with technology, and to help students develop important 21st-century skills at each of the four levels.   The four levels are Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition.  It was interesting to hear that I was meeting a couple of levels without even knowing, but by referring to this SAMR Model, it would make my answers stronger.

Another questioned that was asked was, "How will you ensure students first choice". The formula that Dr. O gave me was Knowlege + Experience x relation = first choice. To answer this question I was able to use the Three Circle Ag Ed model. With knowledge being classroom instruction,  experience being SAE, and relation being FFA.  I also shared my experience with Agricultural education and how it brought me to my "first choice".  Dr. O mentioned a lot about customizing content to students first choice, and if I am able to show how I can individualize a program for students,   I would be a highly desirable candidate.

Overall, I think was a great experience! Some areas that I need to strengthen is making connections between educational models. By being cognitive about that connection would strengthen my answers. It seems like I am already including those strategies in my instructions but by recognizing them and showing that I am intentionally doing them will strengthen my interview. I am glad that I had this experience even though I am not going into the classroom right away. I look forward to seeing how I can include my experiences in the classroom in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment